Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a & S 11.5 HP engine in a tractor mower that wont

Customer Question
I have a B &...
I have a B & S 11.5 HP engine in a tractor mower that wont start.
Engine model 28D700 Type 1135-E1
I shipped it from the UK to Thailand 1 year ago, drove it into the container, now will turn over fast but no sign of any life?
Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
8/18/2015
Technician: Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. When did it last run ? If it hasn't ran in a year most likely the gas has went bad and the carburetor needs to be cleaned and possibly rebuilt

It last ran on the 12th August 2014, what little fuel was in the tank has long since evaporated, I filled the tank with fresh fuel last weekend 9th August and have been trying to start it since!
I removed the spark plug, held it against the engine body, cranked it over, got no spark, tried new plug, same result, so have ordered a new Magneto coil to see if this cures the problem? I have no spark tester so not sure if this is the issue?

We you not getting spark could be a seat sensor switch etc . Did you set the ebrake when you checked for spark?

Another thought is to disconnect the ground to the coil and check for spark or see if it fires up , if you have it it or it runs with the coil kill wire unhooked you know something is grounding it out
On my machine I have these sensors, however they prevent the starter from engaging, if I engage the hand brake the seat sensor is shorted, so can try to start.
I have already tried the magneto with the kill wire unhooked with no success, I have also put some petrol into the head through the spark plug hole, connected and tried to start it, nothing, not even a pop! So I have ordered a new magneto coil, spark tester and spark plug, hopefully this will at least get the machine to try to fire up?
As I have not run this for a year, and it has been shipped in a container from the UK to Thailand, I have also ordered a carb overhaul kit, as I suspect the carb is bunged up, after many attempts to start it the plug is still dry, so I think I have no fuel getting into the cylinder, and if I did have, I have no spark to light it up!
Oh what fun with boy's toys!!
Should have the bits in a few days, so will get back to you if it still doesn't fire up, although I think a stuck valve is all that is left?
I agree the coil and carb are the two things to look at , if you had no spark with the kill wire unhooked that's a good sign the coil is bad
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician