Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Turn on ignition solenoid chatters and engine won't start

Customer Question

turn on ignition solenoid chatters and engine won't start
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Have you checked for loose connections? How old is your battery?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Your battery could be at fault. If your battery voltage is dropping too low during start up, this can cause your solenoid to chatter. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I recheck all connections and they are tight.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for checking. Can you re-submit your request for a phone call?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I used my jumper cables on the battery without any results. I'll trying again.
I just jumper my car's battery to the lawn tractor and it started right away. I am charging the battery now and will buy a new one shortly.
Does the engine have an alternator to charge the battery while engine is running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

Yes, you have an alternator/stator under your flywheel that keeps your battery charged during operation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could that alternator be defective?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

It could be, but we need to confirm the condition of your battery first.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This happens often after I start and stop turning off engine. If I let it run for a time it is OK again. I will get a new battery and see if that takes care of the problem. Thank you for your assistance but I should have thought about the reason without having to connect you. Thank you again.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

Very good! You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you have a nice evening.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

You too!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You can charge my credit card now and I will answer the survey after dinner.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

The charges will apply after you rate my answer. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Donald
I charged the battery and it show 12 volts. Thinking all is well I put the motor back together and tried to start the engine and had the same noise from the solenoid and the engine did not turn over. I jumpered the car's battery to the tractor and the engine start up just fine. The lights did not come on. I let engine run a few minutes then turn it off. When I tried to restart again the chattering of the solenoid and engine did not turn over. Seeing that the problem has not been fixed I would like to continue our investigation tomorrow morning. How shall wee contact each other and set a time?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. I will be online at 9:00 am central time today. We can continue working together until our problem is resolved. It is very possible that your battery is part of our problem. Due to the fact that your engine will start when you jump your system with the battery in your car.
Can you use a screwdriver to jump across the terminals on your solenoid? Give this a try. Let's see what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Donald,
Good morning. Thanks for getting back to me. I will try this right now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could the problem be in the ignition switch?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

Are you saying that nothing happens when you jumped your terminals with a screwdriver?

Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

This leads me to believe that your battery is our problem, although it shows to be fully charged. I suggest that you carry your battery to your local auto parts store to get it tested.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

This explains why your engine will start up, if you jump from your car.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just checked the voltage on the battery and it shows 11 volts and the voltage crossed the solenoid shows 11 volts.
I'll do this after breakfast. Should be back to you around 10:30 AM. Is that OK?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

Yes this will just fine. 11 volts is not enough voltage to spin your starter.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One question, if the battery and voltage acrossed the solonid show 11vo
I had the battery check out and they said 11 volts is not enough to start the motor. It has only 10% charging power.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

They are correct. If your battery has only 10% charging power, you will need a new battery.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again. I will complete your survey when it arrives. I will purchase a battery this week.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome! I hope all goes well for you.