JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have had this year and never had the engine run than 1

Customer Question

I have had this for 1 year and never had the engine run for more than 1 minute. Useless any help
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What kind of machine is this? I am having trouble getting the model number that you provide to be recognized.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

What happens when you are trying to get the machine running?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Is this a P3816 chainsaw?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

When it does start, will it continue to run at idle if you don't touch the throttle?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a poulan p3816. It will usually die even before the throttle.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

I know that you have indicated that it is about a year old. Have you checked the fuel lines to make sure that they are all in good condition, none cracked or broken even down inside the fuel tank?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
From the start I have never been able to cut for more than one-two minutes without dying but will look
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

These machines are pron to needing a slight carburetor adjustment periodically and I have even seen them have to be adjusted right out of the box brand new. You could try to adjust the high side screw on the carburetor but it has a special screw in that that has a splined head on the screw. The government and EPA has mandated this to keep just anybody from adjusting the machine and taking it out of emission spec.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Sometimes you can manage to adjust them with a small pair of needle nose pliers. If you can't do it yourself you may have to take it to an authorized service dealer for the product. I have seen guys try to cut a slot in the head of the screw so that it can be adjusted with a simple flat tip screwdriver. As you look at the left side of the machine where your starter is you should see two holes in the top cover of the saw. The lower hole should have an L and an H to either side of it, this is where you want to make the adjustment. The H is the one we want to focus on, if you can turn it an 1/8 turn counter clockwise it will most likely solve your problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just tried got it to run only until I hit the throttle. Will look for carb adj possibility
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

If you can do the carburetor adjustment it will only take a very slight turn of the screw.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If flat head part works I moved a little got to tree than died again. I am too tired and hot to try more today
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

It does sound like the high side screw needs to be adjusted out just a little bit. Again an 1/8 of a turn counter clockwise is probably all you need.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.