JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I am trying to reinstall the blade control cable on a

Customer Question

I am trying to reinstall the blade control cable on a snapper MRP216015B. There is a bracket and I cannot figure out how it fits. It should be easy, but I am having issues with this. Can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you tell me where this bracket is located?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have attached a file / image of the blade control cable as well as the bracket itself (3 images of that so you can see multiple sides). Also, I believe the blade control arm fits into the bracket in some way. But I can't figure it out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is located on the upper handle on the left hand side. I had to replace the handle because it broke, and now that I am reinstalling everything I just can't figure out this one last piece.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

I am still with you, it took me a moment to view some of the information.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Good news, I can help you with that. It is pretty easy.

• The bracket does go on the control bail.
  • Take the bracket and stick it through the slot and through the hole in the other side of the bracket then rotate the bracket to where it actually straddles the control bail.
  • Install the cable into the top end of the bracket.
  • Install the control bail back into the upper handle.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Does your control bail pull backwards from the top or upwards from the bottom?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bu control bail, do you mean the v shaped handle that I grab and bull into the upper handle in order to engage the blade?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are a set of slots on both sides of the bracket. I assume one set is for the control bail, the other for the cable. The control bail goes on the bottom, the cable on the top. What side does the L that extends from the bracket go on? Does it go under or over the handle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The bail pulls up from the bottom, I believe.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

The bent over tab on the bracket should go toward the right. Looking at the parts diagram it looks like you would be pulling up on the bail. The bail will fit into one of the holes in the bracket, it goes through the back slotted side then into the hole on the other side of the bracket.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

The L bent tab will go below your handle. So if you hold the bracket with the L tab to the bottom pointed to the right, insert the control bail into the lower hole rotate the bracket so that it straddles the control bail, then insert the cable into the upper hole, then install the control bail into the upper handle.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

I can send you the parts diagram if you think it will help you but it really doesn't show you much about the way that this is assembled.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Here is the diagram of the bracket and upper handle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The L tab goes below the Bail or the mower handle?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In all the diagrams I found on line, the bracket is on the left. My mower is not a self propelled. So the bracket is on the right. Does that alter the direction of the L? It is just not working right now.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

The parts diagram that I am looking at shows the bracket on the right side of the handle.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this has been part of the issue all along. The parts diagram is set up for a self propelled mower. This is not one and the pictures don't match up. When I flip them, it just does not work. John, let's just call it quits. I'll bring it to my local dealer. I've spent too much time on this already. (about an hour yesterday. 30 minutes today. All for one stupid little part.) I appreciate your help.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry that I could not be of more help to you.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.