Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I asked and accepted billing question about my Craftman

Customer Question
I asked and accepted...
I asked and accepted billing for a question about my Craftman chainsaw. No
Response
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
8/11/2015
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What is your question? I don't see anything listed here. I have your model information but that is all.

I left the message on my last question that didn't get a response. I have had a problem with this beast since I bought.it.
I have replaced the spark plug and have spark. New gas with oil. Checked the primer pump, on /off switch, checked the carb,
Tried to start it with starting fluid to no avail. checked the spark arrestor and everything I could do. I am lost..

It would not even start with starting fluid or at least fire? Can you check the compression and tell me what kind of compression you have?

The damn thing hasn't got 5hrs running time

How old is the machine?

4 yrs. I can check compression, but it will take a while. I wonder if you know what the gap for the magneto is?

The coil will be set at .010 inches to the flywheel. If you are getting spark though that should not be a problem. I would check the compression and see what you have. Sometimes the rings will stick in the piston on these machines when they have low use.

How do I get back to you with the answer?

You can come back and continue here with this question.

good enough, will get back soon

Just let me know what you find.

compression 2" down 4# up

I am not sure that you understood what I was looking for. I want to know what the compression is in psi you need at least 90 psi in order for this machine to start. In order to check compression you will need a compression gauge that screws into the spark plug hole.

I used the fuel pump gauge, sorry I will be back.
I got 110#s

If you are getting 110 then the compression should not be a problem. Does it even act like it tries to fire or hit?

Nope. Once with ether I got a cough a long while ago. The fuel tubing from the primmer goes to the bottom of the carb, I believe that is correct. Also dose the carb gasket need a sealer on it after removing the carb.

The carburetor mount gasket does not require a sealer. There are two lines on the primer, one goes to the fuel tank the second goes to the carburetor, then you should have a third line from the carburetor to the fuel tank. Has it been a while since this saw ran?

I replaced then fuel filter and the lines
Like I said, this thing is killing me.

Did you replace all the lines? Are you sure that you have the lines hooked up on the primer properly? If you get those two lines hooked up wrong it will instantly flood the machine when you prime it then you will have a really hard time starting it if you can get it started.

The line going to the carburetor has to be attached to the suction side of the primer.

The fuel line in the tank with the filter is run to the diagram of the carb, the larger line is from the filter to the primer bulb and then to the bottom of the carb

Yes, but if you hook the lines backwards on the primer it will not work properly and as soon as you touch the primer you will flood the engine.

It seems correct. the day is over for me, can we pick this up in the morning?

Yes that is no problem.

Thanks and goodnight

I will talk with you in the morning.

John,
I found that the large feul line was wrong. I have the large line to the card, the tank to the inlet of the primer and the out of the primer to carb at the bottom. I will wait a 1/2 hr. and try to start it. I have fuel all over the place now.Jack

I hope that this takes care of your problem.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician