Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My LT1045 oil light has been on despite an oil and filter

Customer Question

My LT1045 oil light has been on despite an oil and filter change, now it won't turn over despite having a fully charged battery. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Do you hear any clicking when you attempt to start your engine? What is the make and model numbers for your engine? We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not hear any clicking, no. But the lights and indicators come on. It's a Kohler engine, the spec on the air cleaner says it's PS-SV600-0009.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for this information. Do you have a 12 volt test light, or another way to check for voltage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked already and I'm getting 12.45 volts at the post and at the wire. The battery doesn't seem to be the issue.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

We need to check to see if you are getting the same 12.45 volts to your starter, when you turn your ignition switch to start position.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

We can assume that your fuse is good, because your lights and indicators are working.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just replaced the fuse as well, just to be safe. So I assume positive lead on the post at the starter and neg on the frame of the tractor, and turn the key?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

This is correct.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

It is possible that your solenoid could be at fault.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I had my daughter help me by turning the key and something she did was magic because it just started. I'm guessing a loose connection or something. Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome! Thank you for letting me know. I do hope all continues to go well for you.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.

Let's hope that a loose connection was the reason your engine would not start. This will be great! Check all of your connections, just in case.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Have a great day!