JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Countax 500H 4wd. When the oil gets warm in the

Customer Question

Hi Guys,
I have a Countax 500H 4wd. When the oil gets warm in the Tuff Torq transmission the mower gets progressively slower until it will hardly go up any incline. I was told the plates were probably worn in the transmission. I subsequently replaced the rear axle assembly about 6 months ago and the same problem reappeared within a few months ! The oil I used was Tuff Torq 5W-50. The replacement transmission was a new one. The new axle was expensive and I am really disappointed.
Any ideas ? would a thicker oil help ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.

You could move to a different oil which might help but understand that the last number on your oil viscosity is the consistency that it takes on when it gets warm or hot. In your case my normal recommendation is that you run 15W50 synthetic motor oil in the transmission. Notice that it is still 50 so I am not sure that it will help your problem. It is odd that this transmission only has about six months or use and is giving you trouble again. Can you tell me if there is a filter on this transmission or in the hydro system? Had it been working okay when you first installed it and just now started giving you problems?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.
Do you still need assistance with this problem?
If not please take a moment to rate your experience.