JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a toro riding mower ... Will not turn over but I can

Customer Question

I have a toro riding mower ... Will not turn over but I can start by jumping starter solenoid ... It's runs like a champ but dies immediately after I engage the blades
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

When you try to start it do you hear any noises at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No noises at all
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like you have a safety switch that is not making contact. Most likely the brake switch, but it could be one of the drive control lever switches as well. Make sure that you have your brake on, and both drive control levers are all the out in neutral position. You can test those switches by unplugging the wire going to them and putting a jumper in the end of it, do this for each one, one at a time to eliminate the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John I jumpered the safety switch under the seat. But now when I let off the parking brake it dies. This is truly a mystery. I've had the mower for 14 years with no electrical problems. It's a toro timecutter z model 74701. Serial number###-##-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My next move is to replace the safety switch under the seat. Is it possible I have an engine problem that shows up only if a load is on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

No, if the engine dies as soon as you let off on the brake then it is being caused by the brake safety switch or something in the safety system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks ... I will go ahead and replace the safety switch under the seat. Where is the brake safety switch located? I'll also replace it.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Before you go to that extent let's try one other thing. Remove the jumper wire that you put in the wiring for the seat switch and see what happens.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The brake switch is located under the seat, right about the center of the machine, toward the front of the machine along the frame and brake shaft assembly.

Thank you, ***** ***** been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You read my mind on the jumper wire. I removed it and still wasn't able to start the engine from the switch. However I was able to jump start from the solenoid. However when I released the park break the engine immediately died.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

How many wires are going into the seat switch?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Are the drive control levers all the way out against the safety switches that are on them?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Do you still need assistance with this problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey John ... I got tied up over the past couple of days and was unable to work on the mower. I will check the safety switches tomorrow.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, let me know if you need additional assistance.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.