Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a troybilt Super bronco model#13at609g766. the

Customer Question
problem is slack in the...
i have a troybilt Super bronco model#13at609g766. the problem is slack in the belt for the pto from engine to deck. when i engage the blades it still has an inch or so of slack. what should i look at ive had loose belt issues before but usually a new belt fixes it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
8/6/2015
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you tell me if your machine was built in 2004 or 2005? This model machine was built only those two years but the two years take different deck belts so I am wondering if maybe you are getting the wrong belt.

i believe it was 2004 we bought it used. i know it has two belt for deck and 2 to trans axle. how can i tell what year?

The serial number will tell you what year it was built. The fifth digit of the serial number will be a year indicator.

You have two belts on the deck. Are you using original equipment belts or aftermarket?

They are mtd belts for troybilt mtd mowers part #954-0497

Are you using this same belt as a replacement for both? Which belt(s) have you replaced?

i looked it up at troybilts site where i ordered my steering gear and hex bushing and it shows its a 2004 model and belt to be either(###) ###-####and(###) ###-#### ***** year i replaced both the deck belts and this year the one cause it broke.

Okay, it looks like you are using the correct belt on the machine.

Let's look for any deck hangers or brackets that might be loose or broken, especially on the front of the mower deck.

ill look again tonight. i looked last night and all that looked good. i know when blade isn't engaged it looks saggy and falls off,and when engaged it has an inch or more of play. used to if you got in tall or thick grass the blades would almost stop and now they turn but not fast enough to cut and you don't hear the noise like you should. i'm planning on changing the transaxle belts this weekend if i can get this fixed cause they are worn and cracked.

Just let me know what you find.

i went home and looked all brackets looked good, but i did find a cable hooked to a bracket on the deck that connected to the spring for the tensioner pulleys. i got it to move so i cleaned all around it and oil it and it tightened my belt. so i think i fixed that one. know anything about craftsman mowers?

What can I help you with on the Craftsman?

it was running fine had a tension pulley come off, put it back on a couple of days later cranked it up and it was idling rough and would barely run with blades engaged. oil level was fine one spark plug was fouled changed oil, filter and plugs and still running rough. any ideas. model #917.272460 gold/tan color 21hp
briggs and stratton ohv

What color was the plug that was fouled? Was is a really black color or more of a white/gray color?

Black

It being black indicates that you have a fuel problem. The engine is running to rich at least on the one cylinder. Did you replace the air filter when you were doing the other things? If not, I would take a close look at it, the engine may not be getting enough air which would cause it to run rich. If the air filter is good, then I would look at the carburetor, it may be leaking a little bit which would cause the problem as well.

ok ill change the air filter first and then the latter if that dont work

Thank you, ***** ***** been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Do you still need assistance with this problem?
If not please take a moment to rate your experience.
JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician