Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a lazer z exmark..it will not start. .the electric

Customer Question
panel for the furl level...
I have a lazer z exmark..it will not start. .the electric panel for the furl level hours of use does not come on..I've checked battery ,it's good, changed a solenoid, new ignition, and all new fuses..but it still doesn't try to start
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
8/6/2015
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you load tested the battery?

I took it to 2 different O'Reilly auto parts they Said it was good

It sounds like a poor connection in the wiring. Are you getting voltage to the key switch on the red wire coming into the switch?

It wasn't a solenoid it was a relay..my bad
When you cut the switch to on you can hear the pto click like it's engaging. .
The mower was fine I mowed 3 yards came home left it on trailer got to my next yard and discovered problems
Could it have anything to do with safety switch under seat

So as soon as you turn the key switch on you hear the pto click?

If the pto is engaged

If the pto is engaged it will kill power going to everything else and not allow the machine to crank over. Just push the pto switch down to make sure that it is turned off.

I think I misunderstood your last response. You were saying that it clicks if you engage the pto, right?

Even though there is no power you can pull and push pto and you hear a click sound

So you are getting voltage to the key switch, the pto works when the switch is operated.

You could have a safety switch not working properly. I would check the brake switch first. Can you provide the model and serial number from your machine so that I can better assist you?

Okay, everything runs back through the fuel gauge/hour meter to operate this machine. We know that you are getting power to the meter because the pto will click when the switch it pulled on. I would go back and check the seat safety, parking brake safety, control lever safety switches if any one of these are bad it could be your problem. Otherwise you have a bad meter that will have to be replaced.

Ok I will check those and keep you posted..

Just let me know what you find.

I changed the brake sensor. .not it...ehere are control sensor

At the base of each drive control lever you will find one switch on each. Normally these have two wires going to each of them, if you want to unplug the wires on each one at a time and try to start with it just unplugged and with a jumper wire between the two.

Still troubleshooting one by one will I be able to contact you tommorow for more advice?

We can continue this conversation at any time just come back to this post.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician