Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Can't get my trimmer started. I've got pre-packaged gas that

Customer Question
Can't get my trimmer started...
Can't get my trimmer started. I've got pre-packaged gas that I've used in the trimmer since I've bought it. So, the ratio should be correct. I just replaced the spark plug. But, I pull and pull and pull and nothing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
8/1/2015
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you.

When was the last time that the machine was run?

Do you know if you are getting spark to the plug?

It has been used within the last 30 days. It sounds like it gets and occasional spark.

Thinking back to the last time you ran the machine, were you having any issues?

Can you remove the air filter cover, spray a little carburetor cleaner or fuel into the throat of the carburetor and see if it will start then?

Once the trimmer warms up a little, it always runs better. Other than that, it worked as it always has. I don't have any carb cleaner. Should I use mixed fuel to clean or plain gas?

I would used mixed.

I've done some cleaning. It didn't appear to be very dirty. After listening closer, it is sparking as best I can tell.

With the air filter removed, did you put some fuel directly into the carburetor throat and try to start it? If not, try to do so and see what happens.

Ok, I've tried that. Still sounds the same. Nice purr, but not starting.

Okay, we need to check to see if you are getting spark to the plug. Do you have a spark tester?

Sorry, I don't have one of those.

That's okay. You can still check for spark it is just a little harder to do. You will need to remove the spark plug from the cylinder, attach it back to the plug wire, ground the base or threads to the cylinder and crank the engine, watch to see if you get a spark to the plug. If not then we just found the reason that the machine is not starting, if it is then we will move on to another possible problem.

ok, verified sparking.

Since you are getting spark then I would recommend doing a compression test to see what kind of compression you have. You need at least 90 psi in order to get the engine to start, if it is lower than that it will not run.

Do you have a compression gauge or maybe know someone that does?

Sorry, I don't have one of those either. I'll check with the neighbors. Is there any "homegrown" work arounds for one of those?

Not really, we need to be accurate on this reading in order to be able to proceed.

ok, I've verified the compression. What next?

What was the compression reading?

100

What kind or brand of spark plug do you have in the machine right now?

Champion. I replaced it with the same make/model that was working previously.
Are you still there?

Since you know that you have spark to the plug, the compression is 100 psi, and by spraying fuel into the throat of the carburetor, this thing should be running.

The only other thing that I can think of is if the cylinder walls are damaged which can give us a misleading compression reading but it would also cause the unit to not pull fuel into the cylinder like it should. Can you remove the spark plug, shine a light down into the cylinder and see if you can tell what the walls of the cylinder look like. It can be hard to see, sometimes you can take a small screwdriver and run around the walls to see if you can feel any damage or scratches in the wall.

cylinder walls looks look great.

One other question, after pulling the machine a few times and it not starting. Is the spark plug wet with fuel?

It just started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It ran very roughly at first, and wouldn't engage the trimmer. But, after some persistence, it finally kicked into high gear and was running wide open! I don't think it has every ran at that high of RPMs!

It sounds like you may have had the engine flooded, which would make it very difficult to start. After sitting for a little while it would dry out and then you could start it.

Did it begin to run properly? RPM come down to normal.

Thank you is has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician