JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I am thirty year veteran of automotive service have a 13hp

Customer Question

I am thirty year veteran of automotive service have a 13hp kohler will not fire from coil have isolated coil and coil is new third coil
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Has this coil fired any at all or ran since you installed it on the engine?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
You have unhooked the ground wire going to the coil and it still doesn't fire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it has not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Have eliminated what I consider all the safety switches from the system In my mind the coil acts like a magneto correct needs nothing but a magnet to create fire?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, as long as the magnet is good on your flywheel, you have the coil mounted properly(not upside down), and it is set to the proper gap you should be getting spark, especially if you have the ground wire unhooked from it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other suggestions as I set the air gap at .010
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
If you unplug the ground wire off of the coil then you just eliminated anything else backwards in the system, safety switched, shorted wiring or any of that stuff was just taken out of the picture by unplugging the small wire that attaches to the coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mag seam ok draws a metal screwdriver to it quick. Not sure where to go from here
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Coil gap is good at .010If you look at the coil as you have it mounted, is the ground terminal that the wire plugs onto toward the top or the bottom of the coil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bottom
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like you have a bad coil, everything else seems to check out good. You have the ground wire unplugged off of the coil which eliminates everything else backwards in the system so that it can't be a wiring issue.I believe that you have gotten a bad coil, I would take it back to place of purchase and see if they will replace it for you. Let them know that it never sparked or fired any at all since installed on engine.I would also be sure to check the ground wire coming to the coil to make sure that you never get any kind of voltage on this wire. Since this it the third coil that you have had on this engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok does the stator have any bearing on this situation
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry about delay in getting back to you.In answer to your question. No. The stator is only for the charging system has nothing to do with the ignition system.It has been a pleasure to assist you.Please take a moment to rate your experience.