Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Onan 4.5 bgdfb commercial. How do I locate the 12 volt output

Customer Question

Onan 4.5 bgdfb commercial. How do I locate the 12 volt output circuit. I have it installed in my motor home, 30 amp. It works great. However, it does not charge the battery. Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is the same generator that you advised me to get an adapter for, when I first installed it. Maybe I just need to jump a connection?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
S# ***** 088546. If that helps.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the rest of the model number? I need the entire number, exactly as it is written on the data plate.
If yours is an older unit, and lists a separate spec number, I will also need the spec number.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4.5bgdfb 1m
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
This unit should have a separate voltage regulator on the back side of the stator housing. The 12V output from it will connect directly to the battery post of the starter solenoid.
But being in an RV, it is very possible that someone has removed the voltage regulator, as it is not necessary in a motor home. The coaches converter should be keeping the batteries charged any time there is 120V power to the coach.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hank. I ran a 14ga 3 wire jumper from the 120 volt main box into the battery compartment. Then I simply hooked up an extension 3 prong chord female lead. Now I can plug in a 3 amp charger and connect it to the battery. Tailgating problem solved. Thanks.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
That is one way to do it.
Just make sure that you have those wires protected by a circuit breaker, and that the wires are inside an exterior rated conduit, as per NEC regulations.
.