Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

We have a 1996 Onan Microlite 4000 genset, runs good ,NO out

Customer Question

we have a 1996 Onan Microlite 4000 genset, runs good ,NO out put for 120 Ac and no 12 volts dc,Hooked op 110 from the house to the rv and everything works like it should.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wonder if the main breaker could be bad on the generator? or is it something to do with the output of its own inverter?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
It is possible that the breaker on the genset is bad, but it is doubtful.
If the genset is running, it is producing electricity.
Make sure the breaker on the genset is turned on. It should be pulled towards you to be on.
If the breaker is on, and you have an onboard receptacle to plug your cord into for genset power, make sure the cord is plugged in.
If you do not have an onboard receptacle, you will have an automatic transfer switch, and it may be bad.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that . all that ..not power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a mechanic ,not an idooot...Been turn wrenches for 40 plus.Ok need to know if its the gen or the inside inverter..Don't want to pull the gen set out 172 lbs..Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
or is there a bad connection somewhere?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
If the unit is running, it is producing power. You may have a bad connection somewhere - it definitely is not unheard of.
If your coach has an inverter, it is possible that is the problem.
Start at the first point of termination - either a junction box, a receptacle or a transfer switch.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would the transfer switch be? would it be in the gen set or some where else?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
I can not tell you exactly where your transfer switch would be. It can be anywhere in your coach.
The only way to find it is to follow either the shore cord or the genset leads to it - both will go directly to the transfer switch.
.