Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 46 in cut 21 hp mtd broke the main drive belt replace

Customer Question
it and nothing no tenion...
i have a 46 in cut 21 hp mtd broke the main drive belt replace it and nothing no tenion on foot petdel
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/25/2015
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician
Did you replace both belts or just the one? Was it the short drive belt in the rear of the long one from the engine back?
the long one but i replaced both
Okay, I am looking at a diagram of the machine and the only thing that I see may be a spring that is either unhooked or broken that might cause your problem.
You made a good choice in replacing both of them.
the diagram shows the two pullys when you step on pedal they go to the side but that makes the belt loosen it should make it tighter
Maybe you have the belt routed through the two idler pulleys wrong. The wrong side of the belt from the engine back, try switching it and see if that fixes your problem.
Make sure that the spring is attached to the rear idler assembly as well, if not it can affect you as well.
springs on rear pulley changed routing same thing
Does the machine move when started and try to move or have you tried to drive it? It could just be that the variable drive pulley in the rear hasn't picked up tension on the belt yet. If you haven't tried to move or drive it yet I would try to drive it and see what happens.
tryed to drive it it just sat thete pedal to the floor nothing
no tension on pedal nothing to make belt tighted
When you installed the front belt around the engine were you able to remove the engine pulley to do so?
yes put it back just like it was
Has the machine worked or moved any at all since belts were replaced? I am thinking that this has to be a belt routing problem, it is not on a pulley correctly somewhere.
it just has 1 front 1 rear and the 2 in middle
You are correct about that.Can you take a picture of the belt going through the idlers and send to me?
no it just go on the back of one front of other you can reverse them but still the same
Do you have the right side of the belt running through the idlers or the left side?
right side
looking from the back it's the right side
yes
Did you purchase original equipment belts or aftermarket belts? Sometimes aftermarket belts are not exact in width and length and can cause problems.
original equipment(###) ###-####
I am at a loss. If all springs are in place, none broken or missing. You have the belts routed properly on the pulleys. Then this thing should be working without any problems.
but it's not thank you anyway
If you would like I can opt out of your question which would send it back into the question pool. Maybe one of the other experts will pick it up and you can get a second opinion. Let me know.
no thanks i will get some one to fix it am tired of this
I am sorry that I couldn't be of more help to.
Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you today.Thank you for choosing justanswer.
JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician