Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

My 4000 super quiet generater would not start at all

Customer Question
Hello my 4000 super quiet...
Hello my 4000 super quiet generater would not start at all so I replaced the carb. After about an hour it will run with every breaker on except the 30 amp ac then instantly dies. Plugged into shore power it works just fine. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Ok panel was miss labeled the 30 amp breaker is the main. The generator still will not stay on when any load is added to it. Microwave/ac. I have 120 volts to recitals inside. Thought about replacing the fuel pump but the generator runs fine with no load is that still a possibility it could be bad?
7/24/2015
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 2 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this. What is the full model number of the genset, exactly as it appears on the data label?How long has it been since this unit was run regularly?.
4kyfa26100k. Now will shut down after about an hour. And takes about 10 mins to gets started again.
How long has it been since this unit was run regularly? What fault code are you getting?..
3 blinks service code. While running if I hold choke open for second seems to run at higher rpm. sounds like it should. Then shuts off rite away. Got to be fuel issue?
Been couple months since started last
I'm confused on how this service works? Did you already bill me?
Sorry for the delay. I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.
I am on Eastern time, and it was 11:30PM when you replied to me. I had already gone to bed, as I had to get up at 5:30 to go to work.
Code 3 is merely a service indicator, and means that a secondary code has been set. I need to know that secondary code.
Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.
Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.
What Fault Code are you getting?
.
36
Code 36 is most often a fuel issue.
Here is what you need to do.
First, remove the air filter.
While cranking the engine, start spraying in some carb cleaner (do not use starting fluid).
Will the engine try to start on carb cleaner?
If not, you have an engine problem.
If so, you need to test the fuel pump.
To do the test, remove the fuel line from the carburetor. It will be necessary to cut the crimp-type hose clamp.
Place the fuel line in and empty container.
Press and hold the 'STOP/PRIME' button for about 10 seconds.
When you first press the button, there will be a 3 second delay before the fuel pump activates.
When the fuel pump does activate, it should make a faint 'humming' sound. It should not make a loud 'clacking' sound. A loud 'clacking' sound indicates that there is air in the pump, and can indicate either a faulty pump, or no/not enough fuel getting to the pump.
There should be an immediate strong, steady flow of fuel in a pulsing flow.
If there is no fuel flow, or if the flow seems very weak and thready, locate the fuel supply line.
The supply line is attached to the left side of the set, about midway between front and back.
If you look down the left side of the set, you will see a large black ground cable, then a gray conduit (this conduit is the AC output wires), and then the fuel line.
The fuel line attaches to the fuel filter, and the fuel filter is screwed directly into the pump, which is located inside the set, all the way to the left.
Remove the supply line from the filter, and attach a length of fuel hose to the filter.
Place the end of the hose into a gas can.
Now press and hold the 'STOP/PRIME' button again, for about 10 seconds.
If you still do not get sufficient fuel flow, the pump is bad and needs to be replaced.
If you now get good fuel flow, but did not on the first test, either your coach is low on gas (there must be at least 1/4 tank for the set to run), or the fuel lines between the tank and genset are bad.
.
I got a pretty solid stream of fuel threw the pump. Spark plug is really dry
When you changed the carb, did you make sure to get the wires from the fuel shut off solenoid connected properly?
Test the hot wire to the shut off solenoid, and see if you are getting 12V to it while the engine is cranking.
Are you?
.
Sorry for delay yes have 12 volts
Not sure how much fuel supost to be pumping out of fuel pump. I wouldn't say it was continues flow while pulsipulsing. like a continuous strong trickel.
It will to squirt out of the hose, it will just flow in a pulsing manner.
It should pump enough to be able to fill a baby food jar in about a minute or so.
.
Try again tomorrow and get back to ya.
OK
.
Have you checked the fuel pump yet?
.
Ordered a new fuel pump. Should be in next week I'll keep you posted
OK
.
Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician