Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a one year old husqvarna YTH22K42. The mower can be

Customer Question
pushed with or without the...
I have a one year old husqvarna YTH22K42. The mower can be pushed with or without the disengage lever activated. It also seems to make a small skip when moving forward. The skipping is more pronounced going up hills.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/21/2015
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Hello. My names is Donald. Have you check the condition of your transmission drive belt? If your belt is worn, loose, or slipping, this can affect the performance of your transmission.
Hi Donald. The belt seems fine. I only have less than 50 hours of use. Even if it is a belt issue I should not be able to push the mower when it is supposedly engaged...am I correct? I have only used the freewheel lever once and it was after I re-engaged it that I started getting the skipping.
Thank you for this information. I would like to confirm something. Are you saying, that our problem began after you used your freewheel lever?
Yes. the mower got slightly bogged down in some moist soil. I pulled the level to free wheel, pushed the mower out and re-engaged the transmission. I noticed the skipping right after.
Check for a build up of dirt or debris on top of your transmission, that could be preventing the freewheel lever on your transmission from fully re-engaging. Sometimes, although you push in the rod, at the rear of your mower, the lever on your transmission, that your rod attaches to, could be partially obstructed.
I have reached inside and manually moved it into the engaged position. There were no obstructions.
So your lever does move all the way in both directions?
Yes it does.
Your freewheel lever is the part externally, that will allow your mower to freely roll. Have you recently removed one of your rear wheels?
I removed the right rear tire a year ago after the first week. The wheel was punctured. It has worked the rest of the summer of 2014 and 2015 up until now. You can physically feel the skip as the mower speeds up. The skipping speeds up as well which made me think it was the belt.
You stated that your drive belt seems fine. Although it appears to be okay, it could still be slipping. You have covered all other external possibilities.
It seems fine from my initial inspection. Probably best if I remove it and inspect it to remove all doubt. Right?
Is it possible there may be damage in the transmission itself from spinning the wheels in the soil? I thought that was unlikely but doesn't hurt to ask.
You transmission could possibly have internal issues, but not due to you spinning your wheels in the mud. I totally agree with you, for giving your belt a closer inspection, just to be sure. Also, check the control arm on your transmission, to make sure it is fully shifting in forward and reverse positions..
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician