Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Craftsman riding mower, that I bought used. I dont

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman riding mower, that I bought used. I dont know if the previous owner used briggs n stratton oil or what. Yet that riding mower really eats the oil. I have replaced the sparkplug, fuel filter, air filter, and it has drained the battery also.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Have you checked for an oil leak? The smoking could be due to worn rings, or worn cylinder. We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will have to check that tomorrow. Thanks for giving me another idea on that mower. I know more about rebuilding old cars than mowers. Sorry about that. lol
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
No problem. We can continue from here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think part of it was from over filling the oil. I started it up and no smoke, yet the wheels were not wanting to roll. So I probably have something pressed that shouldnt be so the wheels would not turn when its in gear. It still is like when we have the button in the back pulled out to release the lock to the wheels. Thats how it still is even after everything is turned on.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this information. Have you recently removed one of your rear wheels? Make sure that the lever on your transmission, is actually moving and releasing fully, when you push the button in, at the rear of your mower.