Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Model P3816 will not start.

Customer Question
Model P3816 will not start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/17/2015
Technician: Vince O., Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Hello, did it sit with gas in it or a long time? If you remove the air filter and squirt carb cleaner into the carb will it fire?
I've tried everything you suggested but engine will still not start. Seems like engine will not "flood" even if gas bulb is pressed many times. Could the spark plug be defective?
The compression could be low. If you have a compression gauge it should have 120 psi.If no gauge remove the top cover and the the muffler to have a look inside/ Look for scoring or a stuck ring.
I cannot check the compression.
Remove the spark plug and muffler,shine a light inside and look for scoring on the piston and cylinder.
I could not see any scoring or marks on the cylinder walls or piston head surface. I have tried putting a drop of gasoline into the cylinder and into the carburetor with no luck. I removed the spark plug but kept it hooked up and could see a spark at the gap when starter cord was pulled. I think there is compression in the cylinder. When I push the bulb many times to get gas into the cylinder there doesn't seem to be gas in the cylinder? Could there be some type of blockage in the fuel lines leading into the engine? Do I need to make screw type adjustments at the places on the engine?
Drain the fuel and make sure the filter is still connected to the fuel line.The fuel lines rot and break.
In the gas tank the filter cartridge is connected to the fuel line. From the appearance of the filter cartridge it may be clogged which would not allow gas into the engine. I will try to clean the cartridge in gasoline or other solvent you might suggest. Protruding down about one-half inch from the top of the tank is a small diameter plastic tube connected to a plastic nipple - is this supposed to look this way?
Yes,the hose with the plastic nipple is the primer return line.Did you check for spark?
There is "spark" at the spark plug gap when the starter cord is pulled. The gap is set at the recommended 025.
Are the 2 fuel lines connected to the primer? Are they on correct if you did have them off? The primer return line goes to the longer nipple on the primer.
The only thing left is to check the compression. If it's lower than 120 psi it needs torn apart to check.
I did not remove the two fuel lines which a connected to the push bulb. I'm beginning to think that the problem is the lack of a tight fit of the piston (rings ?) in the cylinder. In other words the cylinder is not filling with air-fuel mixture under pressure. If this is the case then I would have to take the saw to a repair shop which we do have nearby. I do not have a pressure gauge to connect to the engine, but a repair shop would have such a gauge.
Yes they would but they may have a minimum charge to check it out so I would ask them first.
The nipple end of the filter cartridge (inside the gas tank) is connected to a small diameter plastic tube (about1-2 mm). This plastic tube is inside a larger diameter tube (about3-4 mm) which appears to be the "gas line" to the engine. Why is it necessary to have a gas line tube inside another gas line tube? Anyway, the small diameter line appears to be partially mashed closed which would impede the flow of gas to the engine. As I mentioned before, the engine does not seem to be getting gas. I may have to buy a new complete gas line. There is a Poulan repair shop about ten miles from my home and I will check with them. I think I did mention that the spark plug is getting a "spark".
Someone tried to repair a broken or rotted fuel line. There is a fuel line kit you can get from Poulan Dealer or www.searspartsdirect.com. When you remove the air filter is there a wide yellow fuel line?http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/580727101/0071/358.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=580727101&sid=SPDxGPROD&gclid=CMe2x--V-8YCFUeRHwod_1cFyw
Vince O.
Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician