Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an 8 year old MTD riding mower 46", 20 hp &S with hydro

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old MTD riding mower 46", 20 hp B&S with hydro trans. Just started making loud clanking noise only when in gear. In neutral engine runs fine. Noise seems forward not back by trans axle. It works normal but as accel pedal is pushed the clanking gets louder
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Do you hear the noise when your brake pedal is depress? What are the model numbers for your mower? We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would have to move foot from accel pedal to push the brake, at that point there would likely be no noise as it appears to be only at higher power/speed pedal depression. I have put it in neutral and pushed accel and it clanks as well as when in gear and blades engaged. It really sounds like it is in the engine but when it is in neutral and revved high with throttle the engine is quiet (normal) no clanking. I'll get mod numbers, etc tomorrow and investigate more
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this information. I do believe your engine is just fine. A worn bearing, in one of your idler pulleys, is very likely causing our problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
On tomorrow, remove your drive belt from your idler pulleys, and spin each pulley by hand. Listen for a worn, or partially seized bearing, in one of your idler pulleys.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will do and get back with you
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Very good! Thanks.