Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a portable generator that runs fine bur isn't producing

Customer Question

I have a portable generator that runs fine bur isn't producing electricity. It was but somethinhg happened and a bunch of smoke came out of the unit (that's never good LOL) and now although it runs...no electricity
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
Obviously there is something that has burned up on the inside of the generator. This is going to have to be professionally tested to find out what caused the problem/ It is not something that you should try to fix yourself. You most likely have burned out the control circuits and maybe even the armature.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that's what I figured. I'll find a tech and take it too them thanks!
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, thank you for requesting me. Sorry I was unable to respond earlier, but I was at work.These units are pretty easy to test yourself, all you need is a good digital multimeter.If you are interested in testing yourself, I will need the model number of the genset.