JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Have john deere 1600 WAM. hydrostat will move machine backwards

Customer Question

Have john deere 1600 WAM. hydrostat will move machine backwards but has lots of bind up. Will not move machine forward at all. Checked all fluids in transmission and rear 4x4 axle. Put machine on jacks and can rotate all 4 tires with ease. when sat on machine and started it, it will not move any tires forward. Tried putting trans in 4x4 and just*****with no luck. Crawled underneath it. Driveshaft seems under no strain or torque. Took side panel off and do have a D6 light flashing on panels.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Put machine up on blocks and pushed forward pedal and reverse. All 4 tires turn free and roll fine in 2 wheel and***** Put machine back on ground and pushed pedals forward and reverse and it will travel about 4 feet then experience a lot of torque and popping in the rear axle. Took all dipsticks off to let air out in case was a vapor lock situation. No difference in performance.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 2 years ago.
Based on information that you have provided the first thing that I would check is to make sure that your brake system is not stuck or hanging causing a load on the drive system. I have seen this happen and when it does you will have the same symptoms as what you are describing. The machine will not move forward at all, it will move backwards but you will notice a load or it is slow to move. If that does not prove to be the problem then I would recommend having your hydro pumps tested or checked. I can't think of any other issues that would cause this problem. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No help. When the machine is suspended up on blocks it moves forward reverse no problem. There is no stress on and of the drivetrain and it move freely. When I take the jacks out and it is sitting on the ground it will not move at all in forward. It does move backwards but has so much resistance it stall machine. Still can not find cause. I took side panel off and view the electronic panel. All are lit up and okay except D6 it blinking. What does that indicate?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Since you say that it works okay when you lift the wheels off of the ground this make me think that your hydro pumps are bypassing too much fluid when a load is applied and this could be just the weight of the machine on it. I would still recommend having your hydro pumps tested to see what kind of condition they are in.As for the D6 light flashing or blinking, I can't find anything that tells me what that means. I will try to find out for you, I have a good friend that works for a John Deere dealer here local, I will make a phone call over to him.