Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I working on a 2001 EZgo TXT PDS cart that has been sitting up while and stil

Customer Question
hello. I working on a...
hello. I working on a 2001 EZgo TXT PDS cart that has been sitting up for a while and still will not go F or R. it sometimes moves a littles (an inch) but not much.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
in case the additional data didn't get in, here is more info.
--we have put in new batteries, good charge now
--new solenoid, new F/R switch, new on/off switch
--no diagnostic error beep codes when you trigger it, but it does give the correct # ***** non-diag beeps
--the controlwires from switches to controller ohm out good, and pushing pedal does cause solenoid to close
--when I check for voltage across F1 and F2 (motor field), I only see a few millivolts with or /wo motor connected???
--when I ohm the resistece across F1 and F2 to the motor (with controller disconnected), I measure 112 ohms????
--when brother first got cart, it ran for a while, then after recharge only ran backward, then later didn't run at all.
--sometimes you get a little (very little) tug when you try to go F or R, but barely enough to move the cart at all.
I'm guessing controller is probably bad? should controller be outputting around 36v?
And shouldn't motor field resistence between F1,F2 be 2-3 ohms?
Do motors fail with a high resistence here?
7/10/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! There is a motor test and other tests that can be run. Here is a site that has the tests. Open the page, then scroll down to find the tests! I would be more inclined to think that the controller is bad other than the motor, but run the test and go from there.
http://mrcarts.com/cat_ezgo_technical_info.cfm
Curtis, Thanks for your insight. I looked at the tests. The cart is on a ranch somewhat remote, so I only get to it every two weeks or so. So I'm trying to get as much insight into what the problem is so I can take parts and be ready on next trip. I really want to get it running on next trip. So I'll give a little more info, and ask a couple more questions to increase chance I can nail it next weekend? hopefully. Your past experience on what goes wrong "typically" will be very helpful.On last trip, I fixed charger problem and got batteries healthy and changed solenoid...as I mentioned, and ran several tests based on the EZGO TXT/PDS tech manual troubleshooting flow charts.
The control wiring tests passed beep codes and voltage tests per the flow chart--similar to what you showed (not as straight forward, but for my exact 2001 PDS model).
Where things went wrong in that troubleshooting tree was that I only measured about .25 volts across F1 and F2.
The flow chart really only had a 0volt or a 2.7v+/-.5v branch. The 0volt branch went on to detect bad cables between cntlr and motor. Seems to me that the cntlr should output a field voltage (prob 36v) without motor attached, so Im thinking it is the controller. Before it stopped working totally, it only went backward (according to my brother). that was a year ago.
So to prepare for my next trip, I will take a new controller (wanted to get a better one anyway). A lot points to cntlr.Given that there is continuity between F1 and F2 on motor, and between A1 and A2, do you think it is likely that motor is shot? (from your experience)Since the resistence was high (100ohm) across F1,F2 of motor (and I think it should be about 3 ohm, but cant find any documentation that says that), maybe we should take motor connections at motor loose, and clean good--maybe they are corroded. The battery charging circuit was terrible when I got to it. Does that happen in your experience?Thanks for your insight and I'll see.
paul
I assume you have 36 volts to the A1 and A2 terminals on the motor. F1 and F2 voltage should vary with the foot pedal, through the controller. With history of running in reverse, and no forward, that would seen to be the controller. But motor test seems to indicate that motor is suspect! I would want to run the motor test and see if it will motor! If it does, motor is good and controller will be problem. I know that didn't answer all your questions! From my experience, more problems are caused by bad connections or corroded cables, than major components!
OK it helps me to know that the field (F1 to F2) voltages are varied by controller with the foot pedal. I had assumed that was constant voltage (and just revered based on F/R switch), and that the controller used its A1 to modulate speed, but this makes sense. I measured A2 to B- at 36v and I measured A1 to B- at 36v but I didn't write down A1,A2 or A1 to B- so no sure. I will definitely run motor test also.
Question on motor test. Is the test in the link you gave me correct for how to test the PDS which uses a separate (sepex) field and armature vs series? It says jumper A2 and F2 and connect batt acriss A1 and F1. I have seen some bench test instructions for pds motors that jumped A1 to F1 and A2 to F2 and put batt across A1/F1 and A2/F2. Maybe either works? I just don't want to burn out motor testing__?
Either of the tests will work for motor!
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician