Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Briggs and Stratton Extended life series model 44P777 0115

Customer Question
E1. Ran fine after sitting...
Briggs and Stratton Extended life series model 44P777 0115 E1. Ran fine after sitting. before running i clean carb new plugs, filter air and fuel. Stopped running. Had cracked dry rotted vacuum tube from valve cover to fuel pump. Replaced with new. Now
it wont start. While turning over noticed wet sprk plugs and carbon. Removed heads cleaned piston top and head. Replaced head gaskets and reassembled. Set valves between 004-006. Getting 120psi from both pistons. Set armature air gap between 008-012. Acts
like it wants to start runs bad for a bit and dies out. Left it alone for a week went out it started fine and i cut the yard. Turn mower off and it hasnt started again since. Not smoking at all when it was running. Did not see any fuel/air mixture screw on
the engine. Any help will be great. I need to get it running. Thanks Watching the grass grow.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/9/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Is the fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor opening?
Best test is to remove it and plug the hole.
Yes. I could not take it off from bowl. I dint have a wrench narrow enough to fit around it where you unscrew it. Plugged it up with bowl off and noticed solenoid going in and out as i turn ignition switch to on. Also changed fuel pump, when i replaced vacuum tube. Verified fuel is pumping fine. Seems like too much gas. Removed fuel manifold and noticed small amount of fuel at bottom inside intake ports under the valves.
only thing after market is fuel filter
Do the spark test and and if it has spark, I would disable the fuel solenoid! Too many test good, but still don;t work!
has good spark both coils
So it is not getting fuel. I would not take the fuel solenoid for granted!
its getting fuel. i tried to start it with solenoid unplugged.nothing. plugged it back up and it attempted to start. Looked at plugs after that they are wet with fuel.
A sure way to get no fuel is to unplug the solenoid! Unplugging it and it can't open the main jet!
It has to be removed, or the end cut off!
timing was set individually with each piston at TDC on compression stroke.
Timing is set by the flywheel key!
What? Excuse me i meant setting the valves
Could it be the timing. Did not notice any issues with flywheel key. It seemds to be fine as far as sheared
It is not timing problem!
Is it normal for the small amount of fuel to be under intake valves
If rings were bad i would not get 120 psi right
Either the fuel solenoid is not opening, or the valves are not opening, due to bent or broken pushrods. Have you had a valve cover off after the engine ran? These engines have history of valves sticking and bending the pushrods!
yes, because i checked and reset the valve clearances a second time yesterday to be sure. Turned engine manually after setting them to ensure valves were seated correctly and operating. When i had the heads off i manually puched each valve and spring to make sure nothing was stuck. All looked fine. Rods not bent and are seated good on rocker arms.
what am i missing. I bet its something simple.
fuel solenoid!
if it wasnt getting fuel then there would not be fuel puddled up under intake valve and the spark plugs would not be getting wet with fuel like its flodded after i try starting it. I remove the plugs clean them and dry them off. replace them and after several attempts to start it they come out the same wet with fuel and a bit carboned from the fule burn during the attempted starting of the engine. Is the right or wrong
Sounds like it has fuel! When did you last check the valve operation. Maybe they are not moving?
today when i had the intake manifold off i could see them moving. I checked all valves and spring intak/exhaust when i had the heads off. all seem to work fine as i pushed them down. With valve covers off i manually rotated flywheel and both intak/exhaust vales were moving from pushrod to rocker arms movement.
with spark, fuel and compression. that only leaves timing!
I will remove flywheel tomorrow and do a further inspection of flywheel key. If it is at all sheared i will replace it. I will let you know how it turns out.
OK, thanks.
removed flywheel this morning. key seemed fine but i replaced it anyway. Still doing same thing. On chock it will start but run for seconds. take choke off it runs for seconds and shut off never really getting to a full speed operation no matter where the throttle lever is located. any suggestions.
i'm using synthetic oil is this ok. in florida area with high temps
Synthetic is ok! I still would try the fuel solenoid!
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician