Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Replaced starter on 1998 ezgo gas golf cart. first it was starting

Customer Question

replaced starter on 1998 ezgo gas golf cart. first it was starting and the clutch was going fine but the belt was not going around. we changed spark plugs. it started and in neutral the belt went around with the clutch but put in drive and it doesn't go anywhere then it just squeals and stops, turns off? maybe battery needs charging?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I doubt battery is problem! Will the cart roll, or could the brakes be locked? If the driven pulley on the transmission does not turn, transmission end is the problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cart is rolling. brakes are not locked. cart was running but the starter played out and we replaced it. once replaced we drove about a quarter mile and it started squealing and stopped. let it rest for a few minutes, same thing so we towed home. noticed the belt was not going around clutch so we changed spark plugs to get more compression. well, the belt is going around the clutch and clutch seems to be working properly now but its not moving and only running for a minute then squealing and cutting off
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Can you turn the driven clutch on the transmission? Sounds to me, that the driven clutch is not turning, or the transmission is locking up! The drive clutch has to squeeze the belt, , then it turns the driven clutch. Sounds lie the driven clutch does not turn!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i just went to check and the drive clutch is turning as a matter of fact it actually took off so i jumped on but it only went about 20 feet then stopped
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Did it stop driving. or did engine die?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
engine died
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Is the starter turning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how will i know if starter is turning? the starter belt, i would assume so i will go check that. yes, that is turning and i also checked the battery. it was fully charged
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Is the starter belt tight? It is adjustable and if loose, will not turn the engine!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will check tomorrow and touch base with you
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the starter belt is tight. i noticed the back clutch piece sometimes turns and sometimes does not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
someone told me it might be carb?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Is the engine starting or not? Carb can keep engine from running!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its starting but then playing out
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Carburetor may not be getting fuel from the fuel pump. or it may have debris in it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i guess we will try something with carb next. i will touch base with you once we have.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Ok,thanks