Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a robin 18 hp engine that ran poor progressively until…

Customer Question
I have a robin 18...
I have a robin 18 hp engine that ran poor progressively until dying. Engine will start for about a second. Replaced plugs and fuel filter still will not start. Have always had to use starting fluid to start when it dud ran. Engine seems unaffected by staring fluid now. Any ideas?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/6/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! How many hours on the engine? Have you checked fuel supply to the carburetor? Has the carburetor been cleaned? Has compression been checked? Have the valves been adjusted?
I would estimate about 300 hours on engine. I believe fuel is getting to the carburetor however it has never been cleaned. Compression or valves never checked.
I would start with fuel to carb., then clean carb.
How best to clean the carb? I assume removing the the carb and taking to a shop is the best approach? Is there a method for cleaning in place?
Just remove the float bowl on the bottom of the carburetor and use spray carburetor cleaner to clean the bowl, the bowl bolt, and the center passage in the carburetor, and the passage with the needle valve in it. Here is a basic carburetor link, your's will be similar! ----------------------------------------------------------http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/subaru_robin_v-twin_nikki_carb.asp
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/subaru_robin_v-twin_nikki_carb.asp
No luck so far. I removed carburetor and cleaned. Replaced spark plugs and verified spark. Replaced fuel filter and filled with new gas. Engine will still not start. Engine has about 350 hours on it. Does engine need replacement?
What is the compression? With it having starting issue, it may be low on compression, and needs repair or replacement. Needs to be above 80 psi.