Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a jd855 compack tractor, hydrostaic. If I press the

Customer Question

I have a jd855 compack tractor, hydrostaic. If I press the forward pedal it goes a little was and then a popping sound happens. When I press the reverse pedal it goes a little ways and starts the sound again. I tried in*****and out, it does the same thing. The fluid in transmission was over full and I drained down to level. When I took out of 4W drive it seemed like the wheels locked up. Can you help me?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP64/MP6429_________UN01JAN94.gif
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Check the drive from the engine to the transmission.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
It can fail at either end!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please call me at(###) ###-####
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
did you get to check the drive shaft?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is checking it out now, as we speak. He will come back down to the house when he is finished. We'll get back to you.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The drive shaft and universal look fine. What I don't understand is why I can't turn the wheels with the tractor in neutral. Is it possible that the brakes could be locked up, or locking up?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
If you raise the rear wheels can you turn them by hand
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I can not.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
If you can, brakes are not locked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The foot brake is not engaged. The wheels are raised, still will not turn.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Remove brake linkage to the rear axle to check.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Going up to do that now, we'll get back to you.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
OK!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The rear wheels will now turn in neutral. There's a little bit of a clicking sound when I turn the wheels back and forth. The front and back universal joints on the drive shaft seem to be good, no play in them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible it could be in the front wheel drive because the rear wheels are turning free with no binding? The drive shaft from the rear to the front wheel drive are good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The noise that it did make didn't matter if it was in front wheel drive or 4w drive.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
So will it drive in two wheel drive? And locks in 4 wd? Or still have same problem, where does popping noise seem to be coming from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It drives in forward and reverse, it doesn't matter if it is in high speed or low speed, and 4 WD in or out. I now have the tractor jacked up, all 4 wheels off ground. I started it and ran thru both speeds, 4 WD in and out, and doing it this way there is no popping noise. But, I also know the tractor is not under load. The right front wheel is leaking oil. Is it possible that it could be a bad bearing in the front wheel? The best I can tell, the noise sounds like it is coming from the front.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
You could have a bad bearing in the front wheel. Raise the wheel and turn t by hand!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've already done that and can't tell the difference from the left or the right wheel.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, Not much else to do, but see if it does it again! What ever had it locked, no longer is!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing was ever locked up but turning the wheels it doesn't seem like it is a bad bearing. However, I guess I'll go up and pull the right wheel and physically check the bearing. I may get back with you later.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks!