Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Honda EP2500cx generator that I have owned for

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...
Hi. I have a Honda EP2500cx generator that I have owned for about 3 years and suddenly it won't start. I am following the same step as I have in the past (e.g. turning on the fuel line, setting the choke, etc.). I have check the gas and oil levels and they are fine. I removed and checked the spark plug and it appears ok too (not fouled or cracked electrode).
The last time I started it was about 3-4 months ago and it was running badly and only with the choke in "start" position. When I switch it to "run" the engine stopped.
Any ideas? could it be the carburetor?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/4/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Remove the spark plug, and with it grounded to the engine, see if it has spark.
If it has spark, put a teaspoon of fuel into the cylinder, re-install the spark plug and see if it will stat.
start
If It starts and dies, it is the carburetor.
Curtis- it appears that it is the carburetor. Can you help me fix it?
Please Call me at(###) ###-####
http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/manuals/31Z15601.pdf
See page 38, clean the fuel filter bowl and screen!
Curtis- Thank u for that suggestion but I tried that (and all of the suggestions listed in the User Manual) with no luck.
When had the air filter off today, I manually open the throttle and did not hear any gas being squirted into the cylinder. I had the air filter off today, I manually open the throttle and did not hear any gas being squirted into the cylinder. I assume there is something wrong with the carburetor but am a little concerned about trying to disconnect all of the hoses and linkages so that I can remove the carb.
I am done working on it for tonite but I would appreciate if tomorrow we could speak or u could write back to advise me on whether to attempt fixing the carb myself.
Thank you very much, Steve
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161733459968?lpid=82&chn=pshttp://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161733459968?lpid=82&chn=ps
Check out this one. For the price, I would not rebuild it!
I would remove the float bowl to see if it has water or debris in it!
Thanks for the suggestion. I work during the day but maybe I can try that tomorrow night.
OK, thank.
Curtis- how do you remove the float bowl
It has a bolt in the bottom, tat has to be removed. Here is a basic carburetor.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_walbro_lms_carb.asp
Your's will be similar.
Unfortunately the bold is blocked by a hose connected to the air filter. I can't get to it
Just loosen the nut and spin the bowl off!
Thank you, ***** ***** But I think I am going to punt rather and take it to a mechanic rather than risk making things worse.
I appreciate all of your help, though.
Best, Steve
OK, thanks!
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician