Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Oil leaking from Ryobi 875R 4 stroke gas trimmer. What do

Customer Question
Oil leaking from Ryobi 875R...
Oil leaking from Ryobi 875R 4 stroke gas trimmer. What do I have to take apart...assume it's a seal/gasket somewhere.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/4/2015
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.

Will your engine start up and run? Have you checked to see if your engine oil level is correct? These are troubleshooting questions.

The oil all leaked out over the winter. The prime bulb broke, so I know I have to replace it first to get gas into the carb. The last time it was used, it did start and ran ok. It's been a good year since it was used, and we ran it until the gas ran out (so no bad/old gas in it).

Laurie, thanks for this information. Was your trimmer stored on a level surface, over the winter months, or stored in an upright position?

upright on a hook made for trimmers, etc. the shaft was pointing down. it looks like a lot of oil in the area that is open that attaches to the shaft, but there was some on the casing part too from the engine...but not the back of the engine.

Thank you for this information. Due to the position of your trimmer during storage, it is very likely that your oil leaked from your cylinder head, and your exhaust. This is normal, based upon the storage position of your engine. I would check and fill the crankcase to the proper oil level, and give the trimmer a try. Run your engine as usual, and keep a check on your oil level as you go, for a few days. Check your air filter for excessive oil. Replace, if needed. Replace your primer bulb. I feel you will be okay.
Thank you-will go ahead and get a filter and bulb and try it out.
Very good! You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician