Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a John Deere 14SB mower with the Kawasaki engine. It…

Customer Question
I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere 14SB mower with the Kawasaki engine. It stopped running. It had spark and fuel. I removed the cover from the OHV access. Found a stuck lifter. I removed the engine and opened the crank case. I found one of the two pieces that goes between the cam and the rod was stuck against the block. I loosened it and checked to see if it was binding. It seemed OK so I reassembled the engine (making sure that the marks and the cam and crank gears were aligned). Now when I try to start the engine it kicks back on the first crank and then nothing. It has spark and fuel. The compression seems good. I rechecked the valve operation and it looks OK. Any thoughts on what else it could be?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/3/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
The timing key between the flywheel and the crankshaft is sheared. If it is sheared, it throws the timing off!
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/flywheel_about.asp

I just checked it. The key was sheared. Any idea why that would happen?

It sheared when the engine quit! Lifter locked up the engine and the flywheel kept going! shearing the key!