Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 4hp tecumseh on a snapper snow blower. First time

Customer Question
I have a 4hp tecumseh...
I have a 4hp tecumseh on a snapper snow blower. First time in 20 years it fails to start with elec starter. Turns over fine. New plug, dropped bowl and blew out the parts but I notice when I prime it I get gas leaking out of the bowl.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/3/2015
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Your problem is a very common one. The craburetor is dirt and there is dirt or gum and varnish in some of the small passages of the carburetor. Also the float needle is bypassing fuel past it and is leaking. Your solution is to get a complete carburetor repair kit and cleand and rebuild the carburetor. You will have to take the carburetor off to do this. Make sure that you take pictures of the carburetor linkage so you will know how it goes back together.Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.
The answer was not helpful and would have cost me quite a bit of money.I was told by a local small engine guy that snowblowers are started differently in hot weather. He told me that I should not prime the motor prior to starting in warm weather and that it would just flood the carb and prevent starting. He instructed me to pull the plug, crank the motor and leave it like that for an hour. Then put the plug in loose and with no choke and half throttle, crank the motor. It started right up and now runs fine.So the advice I received was incorrect and I hope I will not be charged for it.Thanks anyway,
Bob Lesnick
Even though the advice you got from your mechanic seemed to work, it is NOT the correct way to start the engine. THe engine was flooded and that is why it didn't need to be choked. NEVER EVER put the PLUG in loose as it can blow out and damage the head of the engine as well as it could hit someone when it flies out..
I don't know where you found this guy but he obviously doesn't know what he is doing. What you actually did was to unflood the engine. Don't be surprised if it does it again.
Look, what my guy told me was right on and it worked and worked again. He immediately told me what the problem was and that priming is unnecessary in warm weather and only do it in the winter. This was the best advice I received on the problem and did not cost me a dime. This guy has been in business over 25 years and I trust his judgement.Bob
Just as long as it worked this time, but just keep an eve on things as it is likely to flood again because of the needle and seat issue. I was not trying to start an argument.
The needle and seat was cleaned before I consulted my guy. It won't flood again if I don't prime it in warm weather. Please let's end this exchange. No more responses welcome.
Thanks,
Bob
Don't respond to this as it keeps opening in my que. IF you don't respond then it doesn't
Ranwell1
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician