Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Craftsman ride-on mower won't start.

Customer Question

Craftsman ride-on mower won't start.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Remove a spark plug. Is this the Kohler twin engine? And with the spark plug grounded, crank and look for spark. If it has spark, put a teaspoon of fuel into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug, and see if it will fore for a few seconds. If it does, there is no fuel getting through the carburetor. Let me know, we can continue from here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Curtis, Yes, there is a spark. you say "...see if it will 'fore' for a few seconds..."?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
fire/start
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It will 'try' to turn over but hasn't / won't start.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
When did it last run? Is this Kohler twin engine? Is the carburetor fuel solenoid opening as soon as key is turned on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Back in April and been tryinig everything I can since then. Briggs and stratton. Model-type-code: 331877 - 0869G5 - 120211ZA
And, I am not sure about "carb fuel solenoid" but it is a new carb and just replaced by me.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
If you remove the spark plug, do you have compression> Use finger with rag over the hole, to see if it has enough compression to move your finger. If it has spark and compression, and does not try to start, check the valves , to see if there could be a pushrod off, if valves check ok, engine has to be out of time! And you would need to check the flywheel to crankshaft key.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How would I go about checking the valves? And, how would i take the next step of checking the flywheel to crankshaft key?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Remove the valve cover, and watch the operation. But do compression check first! No compression will be stuck valve, or piston not moving. Here is flywheel information.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/flywheel_about.asp
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is compression. Air and gas gets blown out hard from plug hole when cranking...
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
So check the valves. The the timing!