Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Kohler sv740-0002 engine that will run fine

Customer Question

I have a Kohler sv740-0002 engine that will run fine for 30 seconds, then starts sputtering and cuts off. Restart will occur, but with the same result. Thought it might be bad gas, so I drained thank and filled with high test. Same result. Fuel filter is clear. Can it be he fuel pump and does it require a full replacement or can it be serviced (cleaned and lubed)>
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Check the fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor. It can be plugging the main jet and killing the engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure exactly what the fuel solenoid looks like, there is what looks like a bowl with a hex cast into the bottom.I did clean out the fuel pump and lines and it ran fine for a few minutes and then cuts out again. It will restart fine, but does not last more than minute.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The fuel solenoid is in the base of the carburetor and is the on the electrcial part in the carb! Has to have 12 volts as long as key is on!