Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a popular po15538lt. The deck was working fine

Customer Question
Hello I have a popular...
Hello I have a popular po15538lt. The deck was working fine until the other day. I was cutting and it started sound different. I disengaged the blades but they were still spinning and the belt started to scream and smoke. I shut it down to take a look.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
I looked at the belt and there was a cut in almost all the through. I ordered a new one 193214 AYP. Put it on ant the same thing happen when I fired it up and engaged the blades. The arm to engage was very tight when I tried to engaged the last few times. I checked out the routing and the belt is routed correctly. The front pulley was extremely hot when I pulled it off. I checked the idler pulleys and spin fine. The blades spin fine when I disengage the pulleys. What is the issue?
7/1/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
http://www.partstree.com/parts/electrolux/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/po15538lt-poulan-lawn-tractor-2008-09/mowel-deck/
What pulley was hot? Sounds like a bad bearing! Locking up and causing belt to slip over the pulley instead of turnign!
the front double pulley. The belt is also hooked up to this pulley. When drives just fine especially when the deck and deck belt are off.
The drive belt pulley is attached to the same shaft with mower pulley. Located in the front of the mower
Part number is ***** and it is called the engine pulley.
Engine pulley is driven by the engine crankshaft. It is fixed to the crankshaft by a key. I don't see this as problem pulley. I assume the mower drives ok, Problem has to be at the deck! All pulleys and shafts turn freely, and the blade brakes have not jammed against the blade pulleys?? Have you removed the deck and checked out each part?
Just went out and put my old belt on that I used two years ago. Ran fine with the old belt. I stretched the new bel out to compare the two. The old one was stretched out about a 1/4 longer but it has a lot of cracks. The new one looked to 1/2 inch in diameter and old on is 3/8 of an inch. Definitely narrower but could tha be caused by wear and tear.
Belt should be 1/2 X 90 inch.
Yes the belt is 90.2" x1/2". That is the right size for this model. The original belt looks narrower due to wear I guess. Like mentioned earlier when I cancelled the service I got it working with old belt no problem. Te new belt squeals then smokes. I will just continue to use the 3 year old belt. This was the original belt. Last spring I replaced the belt and it worked fine up until last week. Now that one is cracked all the way through so I bought the new one.
Are any of the pulleys damaged? That would squeeze the larger, new belt? Seems to be no reason new would not work, if old one does!
Nope pulleys look uniform and are fine.
It sounds to me, that you missed one of the belt guides and it was on the wrong side of the belt!
The problem with that diagnosis is it would of had to jump the guide initially. It made the same noise and smoked like my first problem. That is when I went out and bought a new belt. Changed the belt and it smoked so I replaced it with my three year old belt I found in my shed and it works fine. I cut an acre with it this afternoon and had no problems. The belt I am using has a few cracks so I will need a replacement soon.
Belt should not matter! Problem is still there, it will return. Bearing locking up or the brakes on the spindles locking up the pulleys.