Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a troy bilt pony and after replacing belts and spark…

Customer Question
I have a troy bilt...
I have a troy bilt pony and after replacing belts and spark plug, it still seems to have no power
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/1/2015
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 3 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Is this a single cylinder or a twin cylinder engine?
Not sure. Briggs and Stratton 17.5 hp
OK, if it is a 17.5 hp then it is a single cylinder engine.First you need to make sure that you are using FRESH 89 octane gas. We do not recomment regular 87 octane gas.Seconed it could be that the carburetor is not letting enough fuel into the engine so it should probably be taken off and cleaned and rebuilt with a new carburetor repair kit. If that doesn;t fix it then I would suggest that you check the valvves settings. They should be set between .004" and .005" between the valve stems and the rocker arms. IF they are not right, it would cause your problem.If you cannot do these repairs yourself, then I would recommend that you take it to a good shot so that they can help you.Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.