Jay
Jay, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  25 years in house repair, ,
12314504

I have an onan 5500 marquise gold gas generator. It will run

Customer Question

I have an onan 5500 marquise gold gas generator. It will run until the steps out side get to 85-90 degrees then it starts surging and shuts down. It is a fuel issue but i have replaced the fuel filters, oil and oil filter and replaced the fuel pump with a genuine onan replacement pump. it seems to be vapor locking.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
You can try wrapping the fuel lines with aluminum foil to deflect the engine heat away from the lines.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put the foil in the line inside up to the carb and outside up to the frame. It is in a plastic wire manager from there on. I ran it for 3 hours during the peak heat of the day on a completely full load and it didn't shut down once. I did this while at a campsite with the coach engine running to try and simulate as close to possible real life situation. Tomorrow will be the true test as we get on the asphalt and head east on I40 thru TX. If this works I OWE YOU a nice meal if you are ever in Atlanta. If it conks out on the road do you have any further suggestions? I want to say its fixed, but not going to jinx it.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Just checking to see if every thing is working ok.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hasn't shut down in two day traveling. We haven't hit the 90+ deg temps since AZ but still all good.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Glad to here it is still running.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It shut down at 92degrees. I let it cool for about 5 minutes and it fired up and kept running. It's not 100% but is close. Today we filled up with non-ethinal which has a lower boiling point. We are also in TN so shouldn't see those 90plus temps again this trip.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Let me know. Thanks.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
How often do you change the oil? what weight oil are you using? How long are you running the gen set at a time?