Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a Hydrostatic Garden Tractor SERIES 1500 Model GT1554.

Customer Question

I have a Hydrostatic Garden Tractor SERIES 1500 Model GT1554. It ran great until about a week ago. It started acting as though it was running out of gas or if there was water in the gas. It would lose power then rev up again, lose power then rev up. It would do this for a little while (I might make it back to the shop) until it would die. The next day it would start up and run for a while (30-45 min) and start losing power and reving up. I put gas treatments in the full tank of gas to remove water and added additives to the gas. Neither seemed to help. Don't know where to go from here. The only other thing I thought might be wrong is something heating up and effecting the ignition system (like a ECM in a car that gets hot and starts shutting things down). What say you?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
THis sounds more like the carburetor is not letting enough fuel into the engine. A LEAN RUNNING ENGINE.You may need to take the carburetor off and clean and rebuild it with a complete carburetor repair kit. Also Take the gas tank and drain all of the fuel out of it . YOu need to get all of those additives out of the gas tank. Then add some fresh fuel to the tank. Make sure that you use VERY FRESH 89 octane gas. DO NOT use regular 87 octane fuel.One this is done, you should ahve a good running engine.Also with a lean running engine, it will run hot and can affect the electronic ignition and it may fail to produce spark when it gets hot. After you do the carburetor and gas repair, you might see if it still does the same thing. You might have a bad ignition coil that would need replaced. But I would not replace the coil until you take care of the carburetor and gas tank.Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.Feel free to continue talking with me if you need more help.