Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 2000 Exmark 52 inch Turf Tracer. I had the engine…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 Exmark...
I have a 2000 Exmark 52 inch Turf Tracer. I had the engine replaced by a local mechanic, but no the safety switches don't work and I don't know how to get them working again. any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/30/2015
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 3 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
I don't know how much help this is going to be, but you should take the unit back to the mechanic that put the engien in and have him fix the safety switches. IT is likely that he did something wrong. I cannot tell you how to fix something that has been done wrong. There are too many variaables when someone has already messed with something. Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.
The Mechanic that installed the new engine has moved and getting the mower to him is cost prohibitive. I was hopping there was a trouble shooting guide that might help me out. From what I can tell the switches are not bypassed, so I was wondering if someone know how they worked so I could check them out.
There are many switches on this unit. Which ones are not working and what are they doing?
I do not have a manual that will help
I believe their is a swich for being in "gear", for the PTO clutch and on the handles. It doesn't matter what I do, the engine will not shut off without turning off the key... or running out of gas.
This sounds like the shut-off wire is disconnected from the engine.
There should be a wire that connects to the ignition coil that goes to the safety switch wires. I do not know exactly where it is on this model.
You should look for a wire that is disconnected . If we cannot find the issue, let me know and I will opt out of this question and let another expert give it a try.
Let me know.
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/723473/Exmark-Turf-Tracer-Hp.html?page=45#manual
page 40 of this manual has the wiring diagram. It appears that all wires are connected correctly, is it possible the problem is in the interlock module itself?
That is possible but usually if the interlock module is bad, you don't get any spark at all.