Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a John Deere GT 245 lawn tractor. It runs fine for…

Customer Question
I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere GT 245 lawn tractor. It runs fine for awhile and then it stalls like it is starved for gas. It has a 20 hp twin Kawasaki engine with an internally vented carburetor. How can I remove and clean the carburetor and are there any vent holes
that need to be cleaned?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/30/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Does engine quit? How long before it will restart?
Carburetor has an electric solenoid, it should click open as soon as you turn on the key, listen for the click, then whenengine stalls, listen for the click. No click, no fuel!
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/mikuni_carb_15003.asp
when engine stalls it will start right back up with the choke. Where is the solenoid?
When I turned on the key I did not hear a click but the engine started cold.
Would a faulty solenoid make it feel like the engine is starving for gas? Should I replace the solenoid?
I would remove solenoid and plug the hole for test.
ok where is the solenoid?
Solenoid is in the base of the carburetor, and plugs the main jet!
Only electric part in the carburetor.
I unplugged the solenoid and turned it counterclockwise but it will not come off. It looks like it should screw on and off.
When I get it off what do you mean plug the hole for test?
It should unscrew! The find a bolt and washer that will fit the hole for test period.
solenoid should have hex on bottom to screw it out!
takes thin wrench