Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Curtis I have DPI charger on my 2007 Yamaha cart. 48v.

Customer Question
Hi Curtis I have DPI...
Hi Curtis
I have DPI charger on my 2007 Yamaha cart. 48v. I put in new batteries and still only get a 3.5 hour charge time. I played two 9 hole rounds this weekend and now the batteries are almost dead. That was charging off my friends charger. If I use mine I can't make 9 holes before it dies, New batteries are trojans
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/29/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Do you have a voltmeter to test the system? The charger reads the battery voltage as it charges and shuts off when it thinks the batteries are charged. If you have one bad cable or connection, the charger will see it as resistance, and think batteries are charged. Look in the primary circuit, from charger port, to battery pack, through the battery pack, and back to the charger port.
The cart is two hours away from me. I am back there in two days. I will check all cables and voltage when I return. I don't understand why two different chargers give two results. But either way they don't fully charge the batteries. Is my charger faulty in that it cuts out after 3.5 hours? Is there a way to test the board in it?
your best test of the charger would be to try it on your friends cart! There is no way to test the board! You would have to send it to the supplier for that! But check each battery and the cables between them, looking for any variance between them. All batteries should be within 1/2 volt of each other. I think you will find that charger is ok, and that you have a battery or cable problem.
Do I need to disconnect the batteries to test them?
No, you can check them as they are.
And I should read 12 volts each?
if cart has 4, 12 volt batteries, each battery will be over 13 volts fully charged.
Ok thanks. Ill check it out
Ok, thanks,
I got back to the lake and checked the batteries. They show 13.2, 13.2, 12.8, and 12.7. So no more than 1/2 volt different. Suggestions?
You have two batteries that are lower than the others. Did you replace battery cables and check all the cables for corrosion? Charger only see the best battery , when it tops out, the charger cuts off. If all batteries are not getting the same charge rate, that is all they ever get! Two batteries are not getting the charge! The the lowest battery is what affects operation!
I took off all cables and cleaned. Am now charging again. It's been on 45 minutes and still going. Will recheck batteries when it finished
OK< let me know!
I appreciate your help. Get me sorted out and I'll surely give great ratings
Let's see what happens!
2 at 12.9 and 2 at 13.6.
What is pack voltage before you attach charger, and what is voltage when charging ? I would think while charging, it would exceed 56 volts!
54.7 and 59.2
Did charger cut off? When you gave earlier readings? Have to get the voltage up on the two lower batteries!
Yes it cut off. I then gave him off charger reading. And the put charger back on and took reading. It is still charging. Pack voltage with charger on is now 59.6
OK<
After the charger stops ill take it for a good drive and then take voltage before and after then change again?
OK, lets' see what it does!
Ok before leaving. 13.5, 13.5, 13, 13.1. Pack 53.2. After a 25 minute pretty much full acceleration ride. 12.87, 12.76, 12.53, 12.61. Pack 50.8. Put charger back on. Pack 51.9. I seemed to have good speed the entire time. They seem to be evenly out. I ordered a better gauge but don't have it yet. I think we are on the right track. Should I keep charging and driving? I never took it on the course today just around the roads.
If battery voltage stabilizes, I think operation will be ok! I think after charging, you are ready for the course!
I'll let it charge up and go play a round in the morning. Ill do readings because and after and send you results. Of the batteries not my golf score
OK!! Thanks