Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Briggs and stratton 21hp engine surging.

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
I have cleaned carburetor, fuel line is clear, fresh gas, etc. I am thinking it may be the governor.
6/28/2015
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 3 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Did you soak your carburetor prior to cleaning it? Will your engine continue to surge if you partially close your choke?
the carb was very clean, much to my surprise. When closing choke it almost backfires, and then starts to smoke (white), but very light.
How long has it been since your engine last performed to your satisfaction? Have you check to make sure you are getting a steady and continuous flow of fuel from your fuel tank, to your carburetor? Have you checked your fuel shut off solenoid? These are only troubleshooting questions.