Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a model HU800H /###-##-####Husqvarna self propelled…

Customer Question
I have a model HU800H...
I have a model HU800H /###-##-####Husqvarna self propelled mower. I mistook 50-1 gas for regular and when it started acting up, turned the mower over, dumped it out and put regular gas in. Doing that caused oil to get into the carburetor and foul the air filter. After cleaning the air filter and the intake I have tried to keep it running but as soon as the spring loaded choke lever reaches the end of its travel, the mower shuts down like whatever is supposed to take over to feed the carb gas, is not doing it. Can you please shed some light as to what might be the problem (other than the operator)? Thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/27/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Remove the carburetor float bowl and clean it and check the float, it may have stuck when you tipped the mower. Also install a new spark plug, as the oil will foul the plug.
Removed the bowl, cleaned, float was free. Took spark plug out and cleaned (didn't have a new one to put in). There is oil around the thread hole which means there is oil in the cylinder head but I can't tell how much. Took plug out three times. Oil each time. If I engage the spring loaded choke arm, start the mower and not let the arm go all the way to its end point (stop it at halfway), the mower will run(a little surging), but the last time, I wired it back to try and burn the oil out of the cylinder, it ran for about three minutes, quit then wouldn't start back (probably flooded, will try to start it again later). ???
Could the oil level be over full? Seems like you may be getting oil into the cylinder.
No I don't think so. I checked the oil. It's just under the full mark. I cleaned out a zoom spout oiler and bent the spout around to try and capture any oil in the cylinder head and could not, so I still think it must be a fuel problem. Do you think it could be the float needle valve sticking? Or is there another needle valve that is used when the choke is in the open position, because that is when it dies.
needle valve and float regulate the fuel into the bowl, the main jet, controls what goes into the cylinder. Check the main jet , the bowl bolt, and the center piece it screws into.