Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Can mowing too fast shorten the life of a deck belt? I own…

Customer Question
Can mowing too fast shorten...
Can mowing too fast shorten the life of a deck belt? I own a lawn maintenance business, and my tech (uncertified) is blaming my field operators for frequent breakages of our mower belts, usually in high-grass situations.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/27/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! YES, mowing too fast in high grass , will cause belt to slip and shorten life! Blades slow down but engine is still driving belt, causing slippage! Slippage causes heat, and short belt life! Need to ease up on the speed and let the blades cut, but it will take longer!