Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Cannot remove PTO clutch; Last time mowing the PTO clutch started…

Customer Question
cannot remove PTO clutch; Last...
cannot remove PTO clutch; Last time mowing the PTO clutch started smoking; Tried to remove but the 7/16 screw was hard to turn, got it out with a breaker bar and pipe but it had filings on it and the threads were stripped; Now the PTO clutch that usually drops out won't budge
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/26/2015
Technician: Rex L., Small Engine Technician replied 3 years ago
Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
The pto is most likely rusted on and will have to be cut off the crankshaft. Be careful not to cut crankshaft. You can try soaking it with penetrating oil for a couple of days and see if it will pry off. If not you will have to cut it off. You will also have to re-thread the crankshaft for the bolt in the center and hope the threads are good. If the crankshaft gets damage you will end up buy a new engine. Also buy a new bolt.
Just wondering if you got it fixed.
Please rate my response.