Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 1998 48 volt club car. It was running good until my…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 48...
I have a 1998 48 volt club car. It was running good until my wife and I took it for a ride. It was running at top speed and started slowing down with the pedal all the way to the floor. I checked the volts with a meter switch and it read 40 volts, it started to come to a halt and I let off the pedal and it slowly made its way back to the house before it started making a chattering noise and then wouldn't hardly move at all. Any ideas? I have taken the rear end and motor out, had the motor checked, they said it was fine as far as the brushes etc. they were unable to check it under a load. What can I check?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/26/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Does the charger come on when attached to the cart? Where did you read the 40 volts? That makes me think you have a battery or cable problem. ??
I have a volt meter hooked up to the battery so I know how much voltage they have before I take it for a ride.
when the batteries are fully charged, they read 48.9 volts.
you have a test voltmeter?
When dash meter reads 40 volts, check each battery.
Battery pack should never be down to 40 volts.
I have a digital meter hooked in line, and I have a voltage meter
OK, check each battery.
I can't, it is night time here, plus I have all the batteries out of the cart.
Ok check the batteries while out, Look for any one that is above or below the rest.