Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I bought a used murray select ridding mower. it turns over

Customer Question

I bought a used murray select ridding mower. it turns over but no spark. I don't have a key and used a screwdriver to turn it over, could this be my problem or could it be one of the other safety switches
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER TO TURN THE SWITCH! YOu will have to get a key. Almost any good mower shop will have a key. It should work if you didn;t already ruin the switch. IT could be the ignition switch or it could be any one of the safety switches if it doesn't work with the key. GEt the kwy first and try it. Please give me a good rating as this is the only way that this site will pay me for my time.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 2 years ago.
I was thinking this over and wanted to make sure that I understood you correctly.
Were you using a screwdriver as the key in the ignition switch or were you using the screwdriver to short against the solenoid?
if you were using it against the solenoid it will not start because the key was not turned on so the ignition will not work.
if you were using it as the key in the k]ignition switch, then you will most likely have ruined the ignition switch and it will not turn far enough to turn the ignition on. This means that you will most likely need to replace the ignition switch if it is damaged.
Try getting a key and trying it in the ignition switch and see if it will work. other than that you may have another safety switch causing you problems.
Please leave me a good rating as this is the only way that this site pays me for my time.