Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Just bought an ariens 20hp lawn mower from home depot. Having…

Customer Question
Just bought an ariens 20hp...
Just bought an ariens 20hp lawn mower from home depot. Having difficulty starting, it clicks and the motor moves about a quarter inch and thats it. Could it be the solenoid or starter giving me this problem.
Jeff
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/23/2015
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Single click , or a rapid clicking when key is turned to start? If single click, remove the spark plug and see if engine will spin.
Single click. Engine spins.
Can you follow the posiitve battery lead to the starter solenoid and jump the two large terminals, to see if the starter spin engine? This is quick test of battery cables and starter. Do you have a voltmeter to see if the battery voltage drops below 8 volts when you try to start?
Sorry for the delay was at work yesterday. Ok got home this morning mower started right up. Had to run out to store came back same scenario wouldnt start just clicked. Jumped solenoid got same response just clicks. Do not have voltmeter.
Check the battery cables connections!
Battery cable connections look good
Did you try to tighten them?
Everything was retightened.
If the solenoid is clicking, and it is getting full battery voltage, the solenoid would be bad! If it is not getting full voltage, the battery or the cables are fault.
So i should check it with a voltmeter then? What should it read?
Ive already replaced the battery so i know thats not the problem.
Fully charged battery will be over 13 volts!
Ok will put it on charger and check in morning.
Ok, thanks.
Ok charged battery and checked with voltmeter right at 13 checked battery cable to solenoid at 13 as well.??????
Just started seeing smoke come from where wire connects to starter with foul smell while trying to crank motor over
!! Battery cable to the solenoid connection, or the starter? Not a good start for a new mower!
Smoke was coming from the starter where the wire attaches to it.
Is the connection tight? A loose connection will cause heat. If it is the starter, it needs to be replaced!
I checked and tightened all connection earlier today. Starter had been getting hot to touch the past few days when i tried starting it. So we have come to the conclusion that the starter is bad?
If engine turns freely, not seizing up, it has to be a bad starter!
Ok i just replaced starter and solenoid. All thats left is the switch to the seat and brake pedal. Anyway to disconnect the seat to see iff thats the problem and eliminate it as a problem. Unlesd u can think of something else im at a loss.
Stater just clicks? Remove the spark plugs and see of if engine will spin with starter.
Just clicks. Removed spark plugs, same thing. Engine moves about a 1/4 in. Everytime i click it.
Can you turn engine full 360 manually with hand?
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician