Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Hey,I have a Husqvarna LGT2654 with a Kohler Courage 26 hp

Customer Question

Hey,I have a Husqvarna LGT2654 with a Kohler Courage 26 hp engine. I replaced the solenoid,fuse, battery, and starter. the starter Bendix will engage, but will not spin the engine. Removed spark plugs, engine rotates fine. It seems to be bound up somewhere
else. Wonder if the electric clutch will not release? Or maybe something else? Only two years old. Used only a few times. Stored inside. Help!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a voltmeter to test the voltages? What is battery voltage before start, and when you turn key to start? Does voltage drop below 8 volts?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I don't, but the starter is new, and tested, so is the battery. The starter has a lot of trouble trying to turn the engine. It feels like something is bound up somewhere.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
The compression release may not be releasing the compression, making engine hard to turn. But it is not your pto pulley or anything else, as engine spins with spark plug out. You can test the battery voltage, then run a compression test, if over 120 psi the compression release is not working! It is part of the camshaft gear train.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the engine,and the electric clutch are still together, and the clutch won't release won't that keep the engine from starting?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
no,engine spins with spark plug out,why do you think clutch would be engaged?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK,I put plugs back in, released the belt/belt tensioner on the deck to the motor. Turned the key, and the motor fired right up. So, that tells me the electric clutch is engaged, and will not disengage. It has three bolts on the clutch flat plate. Can you adjust the clutch out so it will disengage,and then readjust back, or is it the electrical switch that is not working to the clutch?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
If the clutch is locked,it has bad bearing. it is not adjustable. Unless you have a clutch with three self locking nuts and springs. And they don't get tight, they get loose!