Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I back fed an Onan generator. All I know right now is that

Customer Question

I back fed an Onan generator. All I know right now is that it is an onan. Can it be fixed and if so, is it worth it. It is about 10 years old and was about $2200 , give or take. I turned on house main breaker while it was running.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a Pro6000E
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
My name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
First, connecting a genset directly to a house like that is both illegal and very dangerous. It can lead to your house burning down, or the death of a linesman working on the utility lines.
Any time a genset is connected to a home, it must be connected through and approved transfer switch or generator disconnect.
Sure it can be fixed. But if it is worth it monetarily depends on exactly what went bad.
Most of the time when this happens, it is usually a simple and cheap fix, but it is possible that the genset is destroyed.
.