Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

1978 Troy- Bilt 7HP HORSE roto tiller.Serial # ***** Changed…

Customer Question
1978 Troy- Bilt 7HP HORSE...
1978 Troy- Bilt 7HP HORSE roto tiller.Serial # *****
Changed V belts from 1/2" X 22" to 1/2 " X 21 ". the 22" kept slipping under load from day one. I understand the correct belt size is 1/2 " X 21. 5/8"
However now I can not get into reverse, the motor housing on the two pins bottoms out against the gear box housing before the reverse disc comes into contact with the reverse pulley. I cannot see any adjustments to take correct this problem.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2015
Technician: Vince O., Small Engine Technician replied 3 years ago
Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Hello, the reverse disk itself could be worn and need replaced. See page 105 here: http://1drv.ms/1GgntiV
Sorry you missed my point. Even a worn reverse disc should make some contact. The disc does not wear on the outer circumference. The diameter stays the same no matter how badly the disc is worn. All the wear is at the angled sides.
Sorry I couldn't help.I'll opt out.
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 3 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
the real problem is that you have the wrong belt on the unit. On the Horse tillers you cannot use ANY other belt than the ofiginal Troy-Bilt belts. Even the slightest difference will cause the tiller to not operate correctly. Order the EXACT right belt fron Troy-bilt and you would correct your problems.